If you’re visiting Winchester for the first time, or you’d like to uncover more of the city’s history, why not grab a coffee to go and enjoy a stroll?
This walking route starts and ends at H+H in The Square, Winchester, and takes in Winchester Cathedral, 2 Gates of Winchester, King Alfred’s statue, nature and wildlife along the River Itchen, and plenty of impressive architecture. It’s quite accessible, although in the autumn and winter Keats’ Walk can get muddy, so please wear appropriate footwear.
1 hour / 2.9 miles
1. Leave H+H in The Square, turn right as you come out the front door, and turn right again when you come out by The Winchester Bakery and L’occitaine.
2. Head down the High Street, all the way to The Bishop on the Bridge pub, admiring historic buildings and King Alfred’s statue on the way.
3. Just before you cross the bridge, turn right and follow the path along the river.
4. Take the next left, then right towards the entrance of Winchester College, and proceed down Keats’ Walk.
5. When you reach the road, turn right over the bridge, then right again onto Kingsgate Road. Keep going until you reach the Kingsgate.
6. When you’ve finished admiring it, walk underneath and take a right, following the road as it curves around towards the Cathedral.
7. Enter the Cathedral grounds at the back, then take the cut through at the far corner until you are in front of the Cathedral.
8. Turn around and head straight, past the war memorial (away from the Cathedral), then turn left and follow the road towards St Swithun Street.
9. Turn right, then take a diagonal across St Cross Road to turn right again up St James’ Lane.
10. Just before you reach the single lane bridge over the railway line, turn right through the black metal gates and make your way towards Romsey Road.
11. Turn right down the hill on Romsey Road, past the entrance to The Great Hall, then pass under the Westgate and onto the High Street.
12. Head towards the historic Buttercross monument and turn right just before (at The Winchester Bakery), and you’ll arrive back at H+H for a well earned cup of tea and cake!