Vegan Avocado Chocolate Cake
We created quite a stir last week when, on a bet, I whipped up this scrummy vegan avocado chocolate cake:
Reviews were mixed: delighted at the fluffy creamy delicious vegan treat, and revolt that it had sold out quickly to those few early birds and not enough sleeper-ins managed to get a piece.
So by incredibly popular and hostile demand, I present to you my avocado chocolate cake recipe*.
Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mud Cake
3 cups of plain flour
10 tbs vegan dark chocolate powder
2tsp baking soda
2tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 ripe avocados - mashed NO LUMPS
2 cups water
2 tbs white vinegar
1 vanilla pod
2 cups castor sugar
2 cups icing sugar
- preheat oven to 150, grease and line 2 x 9' round tins
- whisk flour, half the cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- in a separate bowl, whisk oil, 1 x avocado**, water, vinegar and vanilla seeds*** until smooth, then whisk in the castor sugar
- add the wet to the dry and mix well until smooth. divide between the two tins and bake for 30 minutes - we use pretty serious ovens here, so check if it's ready for yourself - then turn those bad boys out to cool
- meanwhile: beat the remaining 5 tbs of cocoa, the 2 x silky smooth mashed avocados and 2 cups of icing sugar until smooth and fluffy - it's very difficult to overwork the icing at this stage, so if you're not sure it's correct, just keep beating!
- ice it however you like: i'm not your mum. we tend to ice for instagram around here, but at home I find that this super glossy icing looks just as good dolloped messily on top.
There you have it! Give it a try for yourself and send me in some photos of your handy work! I am also available to knock together incredibly rough recipes for your next cook-book.
I've had a request for a gluten-free version of the avocado cake: if anyone has any of THOSE recipes floating about I could probably use all the help I can get! Send them in on Facebook or tag us on insta or email me at: email@example.com
*recipe was DEFINATELY stolen off some long lost source online - if you are the original owner please feel free to claim it as your own.
**get a glove and pass the avocado through a sieve. don't waste time and energy stressing with a potato masher because it really isn't going to work. i've tried. more times than i'd like to admit
***pro-tip: toss the used vanilla pod in a jar of sugar to make your own vanilla sugar to use next time! vanilla pods are even more expensive than avocados so you don't want to simply be throwing them on the compost